Brand Introduction: Cordera - timeless minimalism, constructed in Spain
Cordera is an ethical and sustainable fashion brand based in Spain offering quality wardrobe garments made with natural fibers constructed to last for years to come - beyond the single season's wear. Collections are composed of timeless minimalist designs that seek simplicity and versatility, able to mix and match with ease with pieces within the collection or pieces already owned.
Phosphene became a stockist of Cordera (formerly Monica Cordera) in Fall 2021 after years of admiring the brand from afar. We are so happy to have the opportunity to work with such a thoughtful brand focused so thoroughly on quality, construction and designing timeless pieces. Read on to learn more about Cordera and shop the Spring & Summer 2022 collection, now available.
above: the Cotton Sweater in Black paired with the Long Skirt in Natural Linen.
The brand was founded in 2008 by two sisters, Monica and Maria, who strive to dress their values: that ethical fashion is to recognize that there are human beings behind the clothes we wear and that clothes cannot change the world, but the people who wear them can. Cordera is to a sustainable business model with a 100% Made in Spain production as the people behind each garment are very important to the creators. Cordera exclusively works with small family factories with whom they have created a close, trusting and lasting relationship.
above: the Relaxed Shirt in Black layered over the Long Knit Top in Black, paired with the Tailoring Pareo Pants in Beige.
The brand cares about the future of our planet by reducing the consumption of plastics, water, in many cases using recycled materials and carefully selecting their suppliers. Garments are intentionally designed as 'One Size' with the intention that the piece will be able to fit you through all stages of life - pants often feature hidden elastic or drawstring waistlines.Production in this manner not only helps reduce material waste in the production process, but it also allows the wearer to enjoy their garment for an extended period of time without needing to buy a new garment that 'fits better'.
above: the Soft Cotton T Shirt in Nougat and the Soft Cotton Knit Pants in Nougat.
above: the Long Knit Top in Taupe paired with the Maxi Pants in Natural Linen.
Cordera's Sustainability Beliefs:
- Low environmental production cycle. We produce with sustainable and sincere practices using the latest technology in most sustainable ways: reducing water usage, plastic and no toxic waste.
- Avoiding strong and harmful processes and keeping the beautiful and natural appearance of the fabrics.
- We care about animals so our yarns are cruelty free certificated and obtained from mulesing free wool.
- Natural fabrics. Our clothes are made from natural fabrics and upcycled yarns.
- Atemporality. We don’t follow fashion trends, we made eternal pieces, timeless creations and styles with no expiration date. Our clothing is not seasonal, so you can buy it whenever you want to and wear them forever.
- We think that the right way to the fashion industry is buying smaller but smarter. Great qualities and loved clothes last longer.
- We produce in a limited and sustainable way, which means that we don’t have excess of stock and we avoid over-production.
above: the Cotton Sweater in Taupe paired with the Curved Leg Pant in Natural.
Cordera has expanded to include beautifully constructed footwear and handbags. Looking for ethically made menswear? Cordera now has a men's collection too. Read more about the brand and shop the accessories & men's collections here.